In 1908, W. W. Seymour Botanical Conservatory at Wright Park opened through a generous gift from William W. Seymour. Today, it stands as a beloved icon from Tacoma’s past and a brilliant venue for exotic plant displays. All kinds of fun and family friendly activities happen there throughout the year, and below are a few coming soon. Find much more at www.metroparkstacoma.org/events-conservatory. Email email@example.com to make reservations as noted.
YOGA & MEDITATION
- Sound Baths and Blooms with Sara Corbishley: first and third Tuesdays, 6-7:30 p.m., through May 21, $30. Sound has been used for as long as humans have existed to bring about a state of balance, harmony and holistic Equilibrium. Find a comfortable form, set an intention, bathe in sound and light, entrain with sonic frequencies and soak up the beauty of the flowers and plants that surround you. Limited space, reservation required.
- Peace Among Plants – Meditation for All: second and fourth Thursdays, 6-7 p.m., through May 9, $10 suggested donation. Meditation is an invaluable tool for self-inquiry and insight as well as a pathway for releasing obstacles to your health and wellbeing. Science has begun to document the many benefits of meditation. It increases concentration, and reduces anxiety and stress. Creativity, compassion and memory are all enhanced through the practice of meditation. In these classes you will play with different techniques to aid in the process of developing awareness and inner peace. Practicing meditation amongst the beautiful flowers and plants in the Conservatory can help you achieve a more optimistic outlook on your life, bringing you both pleasing visual stimulation and helping you to increase your perceived happiness. Give yourself this hour to cultivate a quiet place within. No experience necessary. Limited space, registration required.
- Bloom with Yoga and Meditation: Saturdays, 9-10 a.m., through May 4. Practicing yoga and meditation in the conservatory surrounded by gorgeous flowers and plants will help you de-stress, calm your mind and strengthen your body. Both meditation and the presence of green leafy plants have been linked to enhanced creative thinking and a boost in happiness. Enjoy a moderately paced yoga class with a focus on conscious breathing and healthy alignment while gaining strength, flexibility and focus. Suggested donation $15. Limited space, registration is required. Yoga and meditation in the conservatory is sponsored by CHI Franciscan Health.
Let’s Grow! April 2-5, 11 a.m. to 1 p.m., $3 suggested donation. Bring your little sprouts to the Conservatory for some fun and educational activities around plants and gardens. Drop in anytime between 11 a.m. and 1 p.m. to take part in fun activities.
- Sprouts:Learn how some plants grow from seeds and pot your own sunflower seed to take home.
- Play in the Garden: Create your own beaded wind chime to take home and then watch how the wind makes it dance.
- Don’t Forget the Birds: Learn about some of our local birds, and make a toilet paper roll bird feeder and paper birds. Allergy note: nut butter will be used for the toilet paper bird feeder.
- Seedlings: Plant an assortment of tiny annual seedlings and then watch them grow into beautiful flowers over the summer.
Springtime Tea Party, April 6, 4-6 p.m., $20; tea for two $30. Celebrate spring with a tea party! Enjoy sweet and savory morsels and a variety of botanical inspired teas while surrounded by the Conservatory’s sweet smelling and colorful spring flower exhibit.
SECOND SUNDAY MUSIC
Local musicians add harmonious ambiance to the Conservatory during this concert series held on the second Sunday of each month from 1-2:30 p.m., $3 suggested donation. The soaring glass architecture provides resonant acoustics for instruments and vocals of all kinds.
Musical performances range from classical to folk: April 14, PC & J; May 12, Jessa Campbell; June 9, Clover Creek Ramblers; July 14, Kareem Kandi (jazz);Aug. 11, Cara Francis(jazz vocalist);Sept. 8, Joe Contris; Oct. 13,TBD; Nov. 10, Castletown;Dec. 8.,TBD.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in performing on a future date.