In light of the governor’s orders and public health guidance emphasizing the need to further expand social distancing to groups no larger than 10, Metro Parks Tacoma is taking the following actions, effective March 17:
- Meadow Park Golf Course will be closed to the public. Foley’s on the Green Restaurant, operated by a private contractor at the golf course, will also be closed based on the Governor’s orders relative to the operation of restaurants and bars.
- Point Defiance Marina, Boathouse and public fishing pier will be closed to the public. Exceptions to the Marina closure include: public boat launch remains open, locker tenants continue to have access to their personal storage lockers, but will not have access to MPT services such as the boat lift or retail shop.
- Metro Parks Headquarters will close to the public. Staff will assist customers via phone and electronic communications.
In an effort to slow the spread of the coronavirus, Metro Parks began closing facilities and canceling programs and rentals effective March 13, including the following:
- Point Defiance Zoo & Aquarium
- Northwest Trek Wildlife Park
- All four community centers (Eastside, STAR, People’s, Norpoint)
- Tacoma Nature Center
- W.W. Seymour Conservatory
- Fort Nisqually Living History Museum
- All programs are canceled, including indoor, outdoor, and volunteer work parties.
All rentals – including community center rooms, the Point Defiance Pagoda, Titlow Lodge, Wapato and Dune pavilions, etc. – are canceled. We will work with renters to reschedule or give full refunds.
In keeping with the governor’s directive to reduce non-essential contact during the next two weeks, these closures are currently planned to be in effect through March 31. We will continue evaluating the situation with public health authorities and other partners during this unprecedented time.
At this time, all parks and park restrooms continue to be maintained and open during their regular operating hours. Staff members are handling a high rate of phone calls and we ask for your patience as we work through these issues. We will keep updating our website as new developments unfold.