Flash take down Stars


The Tacoma Stars returned home Jan. 11 to take on the MASL Southwest Division leader Monterrey Flash (4-1) and battled to the very end before falling 9-8 to the visitors. Franck Tayou had an incredible night for Monterrey, picking up five goals including the game winner with five seconds left to play.

In a game that went back and forth, the Stars opened scoring in the first quarter when Troy Peterson converted on a Nick Perera assist with 5:11 remaining on the clock. Every quarter in this match had a goal scored in the final seconds and Brayan Aguilar found the scoresheet for Monterrey with 2.8 seconds left to tie the game 1-1 after one quarter.

The second frame saw six goals scored between the teams beginning with Philip Lund’s marker with 12:11 left in the first half. Matt Clare gave the Stars a very temporary two-goal lead before Tayou scored 10 seconds later and again 21 seconds after that to tie the game 3-3. Monterrey grabbed their first lead of the game, 4-3, on Damian Garcia’s first of two goals with 6:36 left in the second. With 25.9 seconds to go, Cory Keitz banged one home to knot the game 4-4 at the half.

Tayou scored his third of the game just 43 seconds into the second half to put the Flash back up by one. Less than a minute later Joseph Cairel tied the game for Tacoma with his first goal of the year. Perera put the Stars back up on an assist from Mike Ramos with 10 minutes remaining in the third. Garcia notched his second of the game for the Flash and Tayou added a power play goal with 13 seconds to go to put Monterrey up 7-6 after three quarters.

Lund, on an assist from Pablo Da Silva, tied the game with 12:55 to play. With Tayou off on a two-minute penalty, Ramos rocketed home a power play goal and the Stars were up 8-7 with just 7:56 left in the fourth. After Monterrey brought out their sixth attacker, Edgar Gonzalez tied the game 8-8 on his third goal of the season.

The game looked to be heading to overtime but Tayou found an opening down the right side and beat the Stars defense for his fifth goal of the game with 5.7 seconds on the clock.

Stars tame Fury

The Stars (5-4) snapped a three-game losing streak in convincing fashion with an 8-5 win over the Ontario Fury (6-5) in front of 2,673 fans on Jan. 12. The win raises Tacoma’s season series record to 2-1 over Ontario.

Despite the outcome, Ontario jumped on the Stars early on a Tony Walls goal just 44 seconds into the match. Cory Keitz leveled the game 1-1 on the first of Nick Perera’s five assists on the night to close with 11:45 left in the opening frame. Milan Ivanovic picked up his first goal as a Star unassisted with 8:52 on the clock. Dallin Cutler knocked the next goal in for Ontario and the teams were tied 2-2 after one quarter.

The second quarter belonged to the Stars with three unanswered goals off the feet of Perera, Philip Lund and Cory Keitz. The Stars went into halftime with a 5-2 lead over the Fury.

Tacoma would build on that lead in the third with a Lund power play goal and Joey Gjersten’s fourth of the season. With the Stars up 7-2, Adrien Perez scored for Ontario to close out scoring in the third quarter.

Walls’ second goal of the match for the Fury cut Tacoma’s lead to 7-4 with 12:08 left in the game. Jamael Cox scored his sixth of the season on Perera’s fifth assist with 4:24 left to play. Perez added a goal for Ontario to finish scoring for the game.

Subscribe to our newsletter

To stay updated with all the latest news, and offers.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.