By Matt Nagle
A man died of multiple gunshot wounds inside the new Emerald Queen Casino parking lot last night, July 31. The suspect ran from the scene and is still at large.
Officers with the Puyallup Tribal Police Department and Tacoma Police Department responded to the incident just before midnight following reports that seven to eight gunshots were heard. The FBI has been called in to investigate, which is standard procedure for major crimes that occur on the reservation.
While this is the first reported incident of a shooting since the new EQC opened in June, gun violence at the casino and on nearby streets has happened in the past:
- Aug. 15, 2019 – Two men killed and a woman and two teenage girls wounded by gunfire near the casino
- Aug. 20, 2019 – Two men, 18 and 35, injured in a shooting just blocks from the casino
- Oct. 16, 2018 – An officer with the Puyallup Tribal Police Department involved in fatal shooting in the EQC parking lot
- April 2, 2017 – Two men open fire on each other in the EQC parking lot
- March 21, 2015 – A 26-year-old man shot and killed in the EQC parking lot
Police have not given a description of last night’s shooter and it remains unknown whether the victim was randomly or purposefully targeted. According to a news release published on the Puyallup Tribe’s website, police said that the shooting did not appear to be a robbery and are recovering video evidence from nearby establishments owned by the Puyallup tribe.