Possible delays expected in solid waste collection services
The City of Tacoma’s Solid Waste Management is experiencing COVID-19 impacts, which may result in collection schedule changes for both residential and commercial customers.
If collection schedule changes become necessary, Solid Waste Management’s top priority will be the continued collection of curbside garbage. This may result in some customers experiencing delays in recycling, yard waste and Call-2-Haul collection services. If delays occur, customers are asked to leave waste containers in their designated location for regular collection, and City staff will work to collect it within one week (including weekends) of the scheduled collection day.
Solid Waste Management will notify residents of schedule changes on the Recycle Coach app and information will be posted at cityoftacoma.org/solidwaste.
Currently, the Tacoma Recovery and Transfer Center is open under regular operating hours from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m., seven days a week.
For the most up to date information, visit cityoftacoma.org/solidwaste or call (253) 502-2100.
Tacoma Community House temporarily closes
Due to an abundance of caution concerning COVID-19 and everyone’s personal health and safety, Tacoma Community House is temporarily closed to the public and will reopen for service on Monday, March 30.
The following activities are canceled:
- Talk Time is canceled through at least the end of March.
- Starbucks has recommended that folks not have meetings at Starbucks as a way to reduce the spread of the virus so that we will be pausing Starbucks Talk Time through March.
- Read2Me has paused volunteer roles for
March,and will resume after spring break.
- Volunteer orientations in March are canceled and will resume as planned in April.
- Citizenship practice on Fridays is canceled for the rest of the quarter. 1:1 tutoring can be arranged. Talk to your citizenship instructor or immigration specialist to be referred for 1:1 tutoring.
- The drop-in job club at 3 p.m. on Wednesdays is canceled for the remainder of March.
- Census open labs are canceled until further notice.
- Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) sessions are canceled.
- ELA info sessions are canceled through march.
- Milgard hiring event is canceled.
- Visit www.tacomacommunityhouse.org and follow Tacoma Community House on social media to
Sister Cities Film Festival rescheduled
The Tacoma Sister Cities Film Festival, originally scheduled for March 27-31, has been rescheduled for Aug. 29 to Sept. 1 at the Blue Mouse Theater.
We wish to offer our most sincere thanks to the Blue Mouse Theater for their support and partnership in making this change.
We did everything that we could to run the event as planned, but ultimately, we are following the guidance of public health officials as it relates to the COVID-19 pandemic.
For 18 years the Tacoma Sister City International Film Festival committee has been passionate about providing a memorable and enriching opportunity to celebrate international friendship through “film, food and fun.” It is in this same spirit of friendship, and concern for our global and local communities, that we have decided to postpone this year’s International Film Festival.
If you need a refund, please contact us through Eventbrite. If we do not receive a request for a refund, we will transfer your tickets to the new dates. Please keep an eye on your email inbox for any announcements. If you have additional questions or need assistance, please contact us at: FilmFestival@tacomasistercities.org