The 26th Tacoma Maritime Fest on Saturday, July 27 and Sunday, July 28 will celebrate Tacoma’s historic waterfront. Join us at this all-ages event and be part of this valued maritime tradition that honors Tacoma’s rich maritime history, the trades that defined its past, and the activities and industry that shape it now.
Celebrating the City of Destiny’s 46 miles of waterfront and rich history, Maritime Fest brings together an array of waterfront organizations: industrial, environmental, recreational, and nonprofit. Tacoma Maritime Fest is a tradition that nearly a quarter-million people have enjoyed during the past two decades. It is the onlycommunity event that celebrates Tacoma’s most important asset: its waterfront.
Wesley Wenhardt, executive director of the Foss Waterway Seaport, says, “We are delighted to host the Tacoma Maritime Fest and invite the public to come down to the historic Thea Foss Waterway, visit the Seaport Museum, and participate in the ship tours, presentations and sailings to celebrate the rich maritime heritage of Puget Sound. Join us as we celebrate with the Port of Tacoma and “First on the Waterways: The Puyallup People, (spuyaləpabš),” our featured exhibit.”
The 2019 Tacoma Maritime Fest features family friendly activities for all to enjoy. Admission to the Festival and the Seaport is free, as are most of the activities.
Highlights on Saturday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., include seaport museum exhibits and activities and dockside tours and viewing, day sails and on-board tours, food trucks, and entertainment:
- Make that Boat Float containerboard boat building and racing sessions both days. Teams of two to four people will work to build and race their own 11-foot skiff.
- Get out on the water with lessons and activities: sailing (Saturday, 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. tickets): www.eventbrite.com/e/paddle-sail-days-learn-to-sail-session-iii-tickets-58826596935; (Saturday, 1-3 p.m. tickets): www.eventbrite.com/e/paddle-sail-days-learn-to-sail-session-iv-tickets-58826629031
- Maritime garage sale: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in partnership with neighboring Foss Harbor Marina
Sunday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.:
- Seaport Museum exhibits and activities;
- Dockside tours and viewing, day sails and on-board tours, food, beverage and entertainment;
- Containerboard boat building and racing sessions both days. Teams of two to four people will work to build and race their own 11-foot skiff.
- Port of Tacoma tours that are only available on Sunday, July 28 on a first come, first served basis. To reserve a free seat, use the link: eventbrite.com/e/port-of-tacoma-boat-tours-2019-tickets-61603145667
All weekend long enjoy Seaport Museum exhibits and activities, dockside tours and viewing, day sail and on board tours:
- Food trucks and entertainment;
- Activities for kids: connect with roving pirates; build a model toy boat at the toy boat building booth; sit with a storytelling mermaid while she tells tales of the sea;
- Bounce in the pirate ship bounce house;
- Ships in a bottle model and ship makers;
- Boats! Our docks will be filled with historical and industrial vessels including motor, sail and specialty boats – some are free for boarding;
- Get out on the water!
- Maritime art: Find the Urban Sketchers and various artists sketching throughout the museum;
- A maritime garage sale: Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in partnership with Foss Harbor Marina;
- Live music both days;
- Free water shuttles: On Saturday, there will be a free boat shuttle from the 16thStreet Pier. On Sunday, there will be a free boat shuttle from the Museum of Glass during their Glass Festival.
MAKE THAT BOAT FLOAT
- Cash prizes of $80, $50 and $30 for 1st, 2nd and 3rd
- Adult single passenger: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place fastest race times (races start on Saturday at noon)
- Adult multi-passenger: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place fastest race times (races start on Saturday at noon)
- Youth: 1st, 2nd and 3rd place fastest race times (races start on Sunday at noon)
- Best sinking (or closest to sinking): one award
- Interested? Contact Wesley Wenhardt at (253) 272-2750 ext. 101 or email@example.com.
Foss Waterway Seaport is able to provide free admission to Tacoma Maritime Fest and the Seaport Museum thanks to KeyBank Foundation. Thanks also to our sponsors: Port of Tacoma, NuStar, WestRock, TOTE, City of Tacoma, Green Events, and to our supporters including: Tacoma Community Boat Builders, Tacoma Youth Marine Center, Foss Waterway Development Authority, Belina Interiors, TV Tacoma and Click Cable TV.