After Memorial Day, contractor crews building High-Occupancy Vehicle lanes on Interstate 5 and State Route 16 in Tacoma will implement overnight lane and ramp closures for paving, striping and bridge demolition activities.
Overnight lane closures
Wednesday, May 30
- From 1 a.m. to 4 a.m., contractor crews will reduce southbound I-5 to a single lane and detour traffic to I-705, to SR 509 to southbound I-705 and back to southbound I-5.
Travelers can expect overnight single and double lane closures in both directions of I-5 and SR 16 at the following locations:
- Southbound I-5 between the Puyallup River Bridge and M Street each night Tuesday, May 29 through Friday, June 1 starting as early as 8 p.m. All lanes will open between 6 and 6:30 a.m. each following day with the exception of Saturday morning when lanes will reopen by 7 a.m.
- Northbound I-5 between L Street and the Puyallup River each night Tuesday through Friday starting as early as 9 p.m. All lanes will open by 5 a.m. each following day, and by 6 a.m.on Saturday.
- Northbound I-5 from South 48th Street to M Street each night Tuesday, May 29 through Thursday, May 31 starting as early as 10 p.m. All lanes will reopen by 5 a.m. each following day.
Overnight ramp closures
Thursday, May 31
- SR 167 onramp to southbound I-5 will close from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday.
- Portland Avenue onramp to southbound I-5 will close from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday.
- Southbound I-5 exit to I-705 and SR 7 will close from 11 p.m. to 5 a.m. Friday.
Friday, June 1
- Eastbound SR 16 ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 8 a.m. Saturday.
- Southbound I-5 exit #132A to South 38th Street will close from 11:59 p.m. to 7 a.m. Saturday.
Saturday, June 2
- Eastbound SR 16 ramp to northbound I-5 will close from 10 p.m. to 9 a.m. Sunday.
- Southbound I-5 exit #132A to South 38th Street will close from 11:59 p.m. to 8 a.m. Sunday.
Signed detours will be in place. Additional information on HOV construction can be found online at www.TacomaTraffic.com.