Arts Club of the Week:
The Tacoma Urban Sketchers Group
The Tacoma Urban Sketchers Group is for everyone in the greater Tacoma area (including all of Pierce County and beyond) with an interest in urban sketching in greater Tacoma — either as a participant, an observer, or a collector; supporting urban sketching by offering invitations and/or suggestions of locations for sketch-outs; information for yourself and your artist-friends (experienced or not) who would like to attend Tacoma-area sketch-outs.
The Urban Sketchers Manifesto:
• We draw on location, indoors or out, capturing what we see from direct observation.
• Our drawings tell the story of our surroundings, the places we live and where we travel.
• Our drawings are a record of time and place.
• We are truthful to the scenes we witness.
• We use any kind of media and cherish our individual styles.
• We support each other and draw together.
• We share our drawings online.
• We show the world, one drawing at a time.
• We also encourage members to write descriptions and stories associated with each sketch.
See the Urban Sketcher’s blog at urbansketcherstacoma.blogspot.com under “Monthly Outings” and “Ad Hoc” outings for when they get together to sketch. You can also check the events listings on the club’s Facebook page: www.facebook.com/groups/UrbanSketchersTacoma.
Upcoming Urban Sketchers Events:
- Saturday Jan. 6, 10 a.m. Tacoma Main Library, 1102 Tacoma Avenue South, Tacoma. Meet in lobby just inside the lobby.
- Thursday, Jan 11, 10 a.m. Sketching at a private home in Gig harbor
- Wednesday, Jan. 17, 10 a.m. Schmidt House, 330 Schmidt Pl. SW, Tumwater