By Matt Nagle
This year marks the 10-year anniversary of Asia Pacific Cultural Center’s celebration of “Samoa Cultural Week/Day,” and it will take on a new form as the Center continues to do its good works amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Always a festive event to honor the Samoan people and the richness of Polynesian heritage, “Samoa Cultural Week/Day” will be an online happening featuring a series of classes and demonstrations free of charge and perfect for the whole family. It will all be streamed live on the Center’s Facebook page.
Here is a schedule of all that is planned:
- July 26, 9 a.m. – A tour of the First Samoan Congregational Church at Joint Base Lewis-McChord, with Vincent Vaielua as guide
- July 27, 1 p.m. – High Chief Leota Strickland leads a class on the Samoan language
- July 28, 2 p.m. – A fun Samoan youth empowerment class hosted by Lydia Faitalia
- July 29, 6 p.m. – Live songs from the Island with various artists in collaboration with Big Uce Radio (B.U.R.) with Vincent Vaielua and Manny Koke
- July 30, 2 p.m. – Connecting with our youth during this Samoan youth talk hosted by Mane Tuia’ana
- July 31, 4 p.m. – Fashion designer Melvina teaches us all about Samoan fashion and clothing
Keep up with that APCC is up to by liking the Facebook page and visiting www.AsiaPacificCulturalCenter.org.